Extraordinary Discourse 184


Anyhoo…




My brother once commented, 'Now I get how writers work. You're magpies.' Which we both understood to mean: Writers scavenge from wherever they can, In the case of 'Divine,' I scavenged from Dante, Plato, the Bible, fairy tales, old vampire movies….  When I googled 'magpies' for this statement, I discovered they possess a few more writerly traits: they are clever and often despised, little poètes  maudits. The Chinese considered them messengers of joy, but the Scots thought they carried a drop of Satan's blood under their tongues. They are fond of bright objects.
Kim Addonizio
The Best American Poetry 2013








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extraordinary Discourse 531

Extraordinary Discourse 413

Extraordinary Discourse 040: The World Owes You A Living 3